Summer vacation is days away and Nevada City offers so many great activities for things to do for kids. So regardless of what your family likes to do, here’s a list of all sorts of ideas of things to do. And scroll down to the bottom for our great kid-centric giveaway!
Things to do with Kids:
- Visit 49er Fun Park and play mini golf, go karts, batting cages or the arcades.
- Summer Movies at the Del Oro for kids or the family friendly outdoor screening of Outdoor Family Films : Princess Bride (June 20), Ghostbusters (July 11 ) and UP (August 22) at Pioneer Park, organized by the Nevada City Film Festival, City of Nevada City and the Union Newspaper.
- Take a tour of the mine at Empire Mine State Historic Park
- Visit the Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Check out the Points of Historical Interest walking tour map of Nevada City or the tree tour
- Grab an ice cream cone at Treats or take one of their new insulated containers and go on a picnic
- Food Love Project U Picks veggies (6/23-10/27 from 4:30-6:30)
- Go geo-caching
- Check out the local library reading programs and activities
- Paddle Boarding on Scotts Flat Lake
- A few great South Yuba River swimming holes: Mountain Dog Swimming Hole, Edwards Crossing, Purdons Crossing, Hoyt’s Crossing, Mothers Beach, 49 Crossing. The most accessible for small children is definitely Bridgeport.
- Kayaking on Lower Scotts Flat Lake
- Pioneer Park Pool or Memorial Park Pool
- Go for a swim in one of the local lakes
Jason Auld, owner of Mountain Recreation, loves taking his 3 kids outdoors during the summer season. “There are great flat water kayaking and SUP as a fun family friendly activity. Short distance backpacking is a great way to get kids outside and blow their minds with nature. Just need to focus on keeping it achievable, fun and interesting. Often you don’t need to hike in more than a mile or two to really feel like your way out there. The less taxing and grueling it is the more the kids will enjoy it.” Click here for information about their rental programs if you want to rent a SUP or kayak.
Perhaps you’re looking for a summer camp, there are still lots of great programs happening, click here for a post from earlier this spring on the Summer Camp Fair, still time to check out the Food Love Project day camps, Mud Hut Art classes, Fox Walkers or The Center for Arts programs. Perhaps you want to be creative, try stopping by The Artist Workshop, either for a class or their drop in open session and leave with a new art project.
There are a lot of great kid friendly events during the summer season, whether its The Children’s Festival (Friday, July 17th), The Sierra Storytelling Festival (July 17-19) or the Nevada County Fair (August 12-16). Or the Miners Picnic at Empire Mine (August 29th), a family picnic, gold mining demonstrations, live music and games.
Otherwise take your kids to one of the many local farmers markets, First Friday Art Walks (June 5th, July 3rd, August 7th) or Nevada City Summer Nights (July 15th, 22nd and 29th). Perhaps you want to get tickets for the PAG performance of Jungle Book. Don’t forget the free Nevada County Concert Band concerts at Pioneer Park, it’s a great free family friendly outing (June 28th, July 26th and August 23rd).
And if you’ve made it this far, I’ve got a special treat for one lucky kid. Post a comment on your favorite summer activity and one family will get a prize package including: 2 free movie passes to the Del Oro Children’s movie screenings, a giveaway to 49er Fun Park (2 free go-kart and 2 mini golf rounds), a Treats Treatsicle, 2 general admission Nevada County Fair tickets, a $10 gift certificate to The Artist Workshop and free 2 hour kayak or SUP rental from Mountain Rec. Winner will be announced on Wednesday, June 10th. *Edited to say the winner is Joyce.
© 2015 InnSide Nevada City, Photos © by Erin Thiem