Nevada City Spring Blooms
I love spring, while I say that about every season (so many things to do in the summer, fall and winter in our community), one of the things I love about this time of year are the flowers everywhere you turn. So if you’re a flower happy person here are a few ideas on ways to get out and “smell the roses.” Because it’s truly never spring till it snows on the daffodils and we’re all eagerly anticipating a winter storm this week.
- Buttermilk Bend wildflower down at Bridgeport along the South Yuba River through mid-May. If you’ve never been down there now is the time of the year to go. Click here, here and here for previous Visit Nevada City blog posts with more photos. Click here for the self guided trees and shrubs brochure or here for a Wildflowers directory.
- Sit under the cherry tree at Lika’s Quarter Cafe (formerly Ike’s Quarter Cafe).
- Take a walk around the grounds at Empire Mine State Historic Park.
- Check out one of the local nurseries and learn more about planting your garden (Peaceful Valley has a great video on your March Gardening Checklist).
- Go for a hike- a few of our local favorites are Deer Creek Tribute Trail and Hirschman Trail.
- Mark your calendar for the next Folk Trails Hiking Club meet up, Thursday, March 9th at Nevada City Chamber.
- Want flowers every week, but don’t want to grow them? Sign up for a flower CSA, Soil Sisters and Mountain Bounty Farm offer weekly flowers in the summer season.
- Crystal Hermitage Gardens will be open in April, reserve your ticket now for a chance to enjoy the tulips.
- Check out the dogwoods around downtown Nevada City.
- Support local farmers at the Nevada City Farmers Market, the market has moved to a new location for the winter, so if you haven’t been, check it out at SAEL on Main Street.
- Plan an Easter camping trip and join the Inn Town Campground’s annual Easter Egg hunt, Saturday, April 8th.
- Daffodil Run in Penn Valley, Sunday, April 16th.
And for those of you looking for ideas on things to do check out the Visit Nevada City’s Instagram feed to see our community through the eyes of others. And the other reason I love spring is that it’s a great time to go camping! Check out the Inn Town Campground to help inspire your outdoor adventure, spring is a great time to dust off the camping gear and head outside before it gets too hot.
© 2023 InnSide Nevada City, Photos © by Erin Thiem