Summer vacation is days away and Nevada City offers so many great activities for things to do for kids. So regardless of what your family likes to do, here’s a list of all sorts of ideas of things to do. And scroll down to the bottom for our great kid-centric giveaway!
Things to do with Kids:
- Visit 49er Fun Park and play mini golf, go karts, batting cages or the arcades.
- Summer Movies at the Del Oro for kids or the family friendly outdoor screening of Movies Under the Pines : Finding Nemo (June 10th), Wizard of Oz (June 27th ), Back to the Future (July 8th), Edward Scissorhands (July 9) and The Goonies (August 27), organized by the Nevada City Film Festival
- Take a tour of the mine at Empire Mine State Historic Park
- Visit the Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum and check out the new Railbus train ride.
- Check out the Points of Historical Interest walking tour map of Nevada City, the tree tour or garden tour
- Grab an ice cream cone at Treats
- Food Love Project U Picks veggies (6/21-10/25 from 4:30-6:30) or Riverhill Farm You Pick berries
- Go geo-caching
- Check out the local library reading programs and activities
- Paddle Boarding on Scotts Flat Lake
- A few great South Yuba River swimming holes: Mountain Dog Swimming Hole, Edwards Crossing, Purdons Crossing, Hoyt’s Crossing, Mothers Beach, 49 Crossing. The most accessible for small children is definitely Bridgeport.
- Kayaking on Lower Scotts Flat Lake
- Pioneer Park Pool or Memorial Park Pool
- Go for a swim in one of the local lakes
- Take a guided fishing trip with Reel Angler’s Fly Shop
- White Water Rafting with H20 Adventures
Jason Auld, owner of Mountain Recreation, loves taking his 3 kids outdoors during the summer season. “There are great flat water kayaking and SUP as a fun family friendly activity. Short distance backpacking is a great way to get kids outside and blow their minds with nature. Just need to focus on keeping it achievable, fun and interesting. Often you don’t need to hike in more than a mile or two to really feel like your way out there. The less taxing and grueling it is the more the kids will enjoy it.” Click here for information about their rental programs if you want to rent a SUP or kayak.
Perhaps you’re looking for a summer camp, there are still lots of great programs happening, click here for a post from earlier this spring on the Summer Camp Fair, still time to check out the Food Love Project day camps, Live Sound Camp for Girls, Mud Hut Art classes, Fox Walkers or The Center for Arts programs. Perhaps you want to be creative, try stopping by The Artist Workshop, either for a class or their drop in open session and leave with a new art project.
Maybe you want to learn a specific new skill, take your child to a cooking class at Briar Patch Co-op (Summer Pies with Homemade Ice Cream or Grilled Pizza) or check out their Co+op Explorers Fruit and Veggie Passports.
There are a lot of great kid friendly events during the summer season: Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival (June 16 – 19), California WorldFest: July 14 – 17, The Children’s Festival (Friday, July 15th), The Sierra Storytelling Festival (July 22-24th) or the Nevada County Fair (August 10-14). The Miners Picnic at Empire Mine (August 27th), a family picnic, gold mining demonstrations, live music and games.
Otherwise take your kids to one of the many local farmers markets, First Friday Art Walks (July 1st and August 5th) or Nevada City Summer Nights (July 13th, 20th and 27th). Perhaps you want to get tickets for the PAG performance of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream? Don’t forget the free Nevada County Concert Band concerts at Pioneer Park, it’s a great free family friendly outing (June 26th, July 24th and August 28th).
And if you’ve made it this far, I’ve got a special treat for one lucky kid. Post a comment on your favorite summer activity and one family will get a prize package including: 2 free movie passes to the Del Oro Children’s movie screenings, $25 gift certificate to Treats, a family pack of tickets to the Nevada County Fair (2 adults and 2 children’s admission tickets), $10 gift certificate to Food Love Project Upick, 2 tickets to The Children’s Festival at Pioneer Park, 4 tickets to the Movies Under the Pines outdoor movie screening, 4 tickets to the Young Composers Project, 4 tickets to the Sunday’s Sierra Storytelling Festival including the Children’s Concert and a $25 gift certificate to Mountain Recreation. Winner will be announced on Wednesday, June 15th. * Edited to say the winner is Rachael Rogers, thanks everyone for your fabulous comments.
© 2016 InnSide Nevada City, Photos © by Erin Thiem and Lenkaland Photography