Summer vacation is days away and Nevada City offers so many great activities for things to do for kids. So regardless of what your family likes to do, here’s a list of all sorts of ideas of things to do. And scroll down to the bottom for our great kid-centric giveaway!
Things to do with Kids:
- Summer Movies at the Del Oro for kids or the family friendly outdoor screening of Movies Under the Pines : Raiders of the Lost Ark (June 15), What About Bob? (July 27), Best of the Fest of the 19th Annual Nevada City Film Festival (August 30, 2019) organized by the Nevada City Film Festival. Or have a staycation and camp at the Inn Town Campground and enjoy the kid friendly outdoor movie screenings weekends.
- Take a tour of the mine at Empire Mine State Historic Park
- Visit the Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum and check out the Railbus train ride, helpful hint, they now take advance reservations, so give a call and book your seat.
- Check out the Points of Historical Interest walking tour map of Nevada City, the tree tour or join one of the Folk Trails Hiking Club local history walks.
- Grab an ice cream cone at Treats.
- Sierra Harvest Food Love Farm U Picks veggies (6/4-10/27 from 4:30-6:30) or Riverhill Farm U Pick berries
- Visit 49er Fun Park and play mini golf, go karts, batting cages or the arcades.
- Go geo-caching
- Join the kids session at Gold Crush Climbing Gym
- Go ride your bike at the new Gateway Bike Park in Penn Valley.
- Take the family dog on an outing, either for a hike or to the dog park.
- Check out the local library reading programs and activities, mark your calendars for next week’s Musical Mondays launch, click here for a calendar of all their summer reason events.
- Paddle Boarding on Scotts Flat Lake
- A few great South Yuba River swimming holes: Mountain Dog Swimming Hole, Edwards Crossing, Purdons Crossing, Hoyt’s Crossing, 49 Crossing. The most accessible for small children is definitely Bridgeport. Please note that the South Yuba River is still too high for swimming, so please make sure to check water levels before you take your family to the river.
- Pioneer Park Pool or Memorial Park Pool
- Go for a swim in one of the local lakes
- Take a guided fishing trip with Reel Angler’s Fly Shop
- White Water Rafting with H20 Adventures
Great kid friendly hikes include: Independence Trail, Buttermilk Bend and Deer Creek Tribute Trail. Or take the kids for a mountain bike ride at Hirschman Pond. Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust’s Trails Portal for more online resources.
Perhaps you’re looking for a summer camp, there are still lots of great programs happening, click here for a post from earlier this spring on the Summer Camp Fair, still time to check out Gravity Camp, Fox Walkers, Stitch Vixens, Yoga for Girls or a lego camp through the City of Nevada City. Perhaps you want to be creative, try stopping by The Artist Workshop, either for a class or their drop in open session and leave with a new art project (check out their new location later this summer for more space and larger birthday parties).
There are a lot of great kid friendly events during the summer season: Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival (June 13 – 16), Music in the Mountains SummerFest (June 15- July 3), 4th of July parade, California WorldFest (July 11 – 14), The Children’s Festival (Friday, July 19), The Sierra Storytelling Festival (July 19-22) or the Nevada County Fair (August 7-11) and the Miners Picnic at Empire Mine (August 31).
Otherwise take your kids to one of the many local farmers markets, First Friday Art Walks (June 7, July 5 and August 2) or Nevada City Summer Nights (July 17, 24 and 31). Don’t forget the free Nevada County Concert Band concerts at Pioneer Park, it’s a great free family friendly outing (June 23, July 28 and August 25) or the Music in the Mountains Patriotic Pops Concerts (July 3).
And since we’re obviously huge fans of the Inn Town Campground we think you should come camping. Whether you’re booking a staycation or coming to the area to visit the South Yuba River, the kids will love the outdoor movie screening, kids craft project on Saturday afternoon and the pool!
And if you’ve made it this far, I’ve got tons of giveaways to help get you into the spirit of summer. Post a comment on your favorite summer activity and throw your name into the hat for over $400 worth of local prizes (all ages welcome). Summer Kid Activities Giveaway: 2 series passes to the Del Oro Children’s movie screenings ($32), $5 gift certificate to Treats, 2 tickets to the Nevada County Fair plus a one day parking pass, and four carnival rides ($50), $25 gift certificate to Riverhill Farm Upick, 4 tickets to The Children’s Festival at Pioneer Park ($12), 2 day passes to Gold Crush Climbing Gym ($20), family pass to Music in the Mountain Patriotic Pops concert ($100), 4 tickets to the Movies Under the Pines outdoor movie screening ($20), 4 tickets to the Sunday’s Sierra Storytelling Festival including the Children’s Concert ($20), $15 gift certificate to The Artist Workshop paint your own pottery and SUP rental gift certificate from Mountain Recreation, Trails Card, field lens and shirt from Bear Yuba Land Trust ($50). And last, but definitely not least, a free night of camping at the Inn Town Campground ($55 value). Winners will be announced on Monday, June 10th. *Edited to say the winners are: Vanessa, Kelly Liebert, Jenn P, Julie Goldman, Kathy Hart, Daisy, Alex, Jeff, April Holland, Marlene Stine, Cathleen Parsons, Josie and Monica Conkle.