https://i0.wp.com/visitnevadacityca.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/A41A6895.jpg?fit=1800%2C1200&ssl=1 1200 1800 erin https://visitnevadacityca.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/header-logo-vncca.png erin2024-01-09 13:35:522024-01-09 13:35:52Winter Activities
During the winter months are you looking for more ideas on things to do in Nevada City & Grass Valley? While I think of Nevada City as a great year round destination (spring wildflowers, tulips, swimming in the South Yuba River, fall colors and holiday events), there are actually a number of fun things to do locally, even if it’s raining.
Here are 12 winter ideas:
- Go outside, whether it’s skiing, snowboard, snow shoeing or building a snowman. Who’s been to Sugar Bowl or Royal Gorge lately?
- Go listen to live music, some great bands come to The Center for the Arts and the Miners Foundry, plus check out Crazy Horse Saloon, The Fern, The Stone House for some smaller venues.
- Visit a local museum. The Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum or Empire Mine Historic State Park are both great options to learn a little local history on a rainy day.
- Take an Art Class (ASiF or The Artist Workshop, Curious Forge).
- Go wine tasting, whether it’s a local tasting room or check out the upcoming Foothills Celebration wine tasting event.
- Go take a winter hike. With our lower elevations, you really can get out and enjoy a walk outside year round (even if it’s raining). It recently snowed in the Tahoe National Forest, but maybe it’s time to go snowshoeing (you can rent some from Mountain Recreation if you want to try something new).
- Go to the movies. You can enjoy Nevada City’s The Onyx, Grass Valley’s Sierra Theaters or mark your calendar for the upcoming Wild & Scenic Film Festival (Feb 15-19).
- Celebrate in downtown Nevada City for the Mardi Gras Parade (Feb 10th)
- Celebrate the return of the Chinese Lunar New Year Parade (Feb 25th)
- Read a book, take part in Nevada County Reads or winter reading program at the local library, support The Book Seller or learn from experts at the Sierra Writers Conference.
- Take the kids bowling.
- Plan your summer adventures at the Inn Town Campground, always fun to have something to look forward to on the calendar. Or maybe go winter camping and explore the area from the comfort of your travel trailer.